Friday, February 12, 2010

Kia Ora from Aotearoa!

(Hello from New Zealand!)

Just a little Maori lingo for you there. As you can probably tell, this means I've made it to Auckland safe and sound. After a pretty gruelling 30 some hours of travel, I arrived in Auckland around 5:30 AM New Zealand time. After getting our luggage, my tour group left the airport and hopped on a bus, where we were greeted by Forbes, our group leader, and Stu, our bus driver. He's full of hilarious little sayings, such as "We're off, like a herd of turtles, marauding through a field of peanut butter!" Just a little taste of Kiwi humour for you there. It happens to be right up my alley, so I have been laughing my head off constantly.

The city itself is beautiful. We took a bus tour up to Mount Eden, which is known as a dormant volcano, as none of the volcanoes are technically inactive. The view looking out over the city was just marvelous, and pictures will follow as soon as I can upload them. After the tour, we checked into out hostel where the group stayed for the first night of orientation week. We headed out in the afternoon to do some shopping, and then turned in early to get a good night's sleep. More to come!

-Connor


The view from atop Mount Eden. Definitely a fitting name.

No comments:

Post a Comment